Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Book Worms

I opened a book
Out came the worms
But I didn't mind
For they were my friends within the words
Wrapped up in their blanket
Keeping me warm with their stories
The worms they came out
Like from an apple core
Boring into my mind
Leaving their homes behind
Making their stories mine
Drilling deeper and deeper into my soul
Trying to fill my heart and its holes
And then in the mirror I see
I'm the book I meant to read
That my book is a mere reflection of who I meet
Every book I've read
Every moment I dread
Every word I've said
And all those I haven't
Just worms that burrow into the book of me
Footnotes upon footnotes
A human journal with the pages faded and fading
Open my book and the worms come out
Like from the core of the rotten apple
Do you read me like I never have
Let these worms into your hands
They feed out of you
As you feed out of them
Please stay just another page
Close my book at the end

© Rahul Chidambaran 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment